elthinks

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Church-hunting

What do you look for in a church? That was the question I was asking myself today. I'm still searching for a church I can attach and belong to. I visited an AG church today (thought of mentioning the name, but figured it would be suicide in the public domain. ;p), but again, it didn't seem to "fit" me. *shrugs* I was forced to admit this morning that I actually had no "criteria" with which to "evaluate" (if I may use that word) whether or not the church is "what I am looking for". Just what am I looking for?

I didn't like what I saw last week either (at another church which I shall be careful not to name). The church, the pastors, the congregation, the youth, the worship....everything just didn't "feel right". The worship was very mechanical and dead. The preaching felt extremely "showy" and "put-on". Above all, I sensed a very cold spirit in the church. I decided to cross that church off my list.

Then, midway through last week, I got a call from the pastor of this AG church who was contacted by one of our church members and asked to get in touch with me. I jumped with delight when I heard it was an AG church, and they were, furthermore, willing to send a van to pick me up. I awaited the arrival of Sunday with eager anticipation.

I'm sad to say that my expectations were not realized. I had hoped for a fair-sized congregation with at least a few young people, and a style of praise and worship similar to PCC. I was disappointed. They sang hymns (very vociferously, though, I must add), and there wasn't a single young person in the 60-strong congregation as far as I could see, and the preaching and teaching were too "charismatic" for my liking...i.e. an overuse of "amens" and "hallelujahs", and, this is really odd, Scripture. Yes, an overuse of Scripture. They just kept quoting Scriptures, whole passages and chapters, with no contexts, no exposition (except for a brief "amen" or "hallelujah" or "somebody needs to PRAISE THE LORD-ah!")...I lost the preacher's train of thought after roughly 20 minutes. I tried very hard to deduce where he was going with all those Scriptures and hymn quotations and how they tied together, but I couldn't.

Sigh...

I was forced by my frustrations to examine myself and my motives and expectations. Just what am I looking for? Why didn't I like the churches that I have visited? What exactly am I looking for? What would make me stay?

I'm afraid to admit, I have yet to come up with much to answer those questions. Much of what I am expecting is based on "feeling" (I prayed a lot on this, for God to lead me to the right church). Some of the concrete things are a strong expository Bible-based environment, vibrant, contemporary praise and worship, strong male spiritual leaders, strong families, a genuinely warm congregation...but are these expectations fair? Would God just as well lead me, want me to join a church that fails to meet these expectations? Would He have a ministry in mind for me there?

But then again, what is the main purpose of me attaching myself to a church? The first thing that comes to mind is fellowship. The fellowship of the saints. I need fellowship: good, solidly Christian brothers and sisters who can encourage me and keep me accountable and build me up in the faith...true believers whom I can serve God with. The second thing that comes to mind is covering. I need accountability to authority, and I need a place to serve, a church to belong to.

Sigh...

It's just all very new and alien to me, this "church-hunting" business. I'd appreciate all the comments and advice I can get...

How will I know if I've found the "right" church?

5 Comments:

  • Hmm...I'm no stranger to this church hunting thing. It's no fun I tell you. Especially since Sunday services are...well, only on Sundays. So if you blew it the first time, you have to wait a week before you can try another church.

    But take heart, brother. I'm sure you'll find one that meets your criteria.

    I think the mistake some people make when looking for a church is looking for an exact carbon copy of their home church. Well, tough luck. The culture there is totally different and it almost never happens.

    I'm sure your dad can give you all the advice you need, probably better than anyone else. But here's my 2 cents. Just list down some of the "non-negotiables" and then the other criterion that you can compromise on.

    Non-negotiables are like preaching from the bible, believing and practicing similar doctrines, etc. The negotiable ones are like denomination, congregation size, cafeteria food...etc. You get my drift dont you?

    I guess what I'm driving at is, dont look for another PCC over there because that's hardly ever going to materialize. Broaden your criteria a bit with that "non-negotiables" and "negotiables" thingy and it'll make your decision a little easier.

    Oh and as you mentioned, fellowship is very important. So look for a cell-based church. Especially with dynamic youth. Plugging into my small group was the best decision I made. ;)

    Keep praying for opportunities and campus outreach programs! It's some of the best ways to get plugged in.

    I'll be praying for you. God bless!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:08 PM  

  • It is so true we as people r confirmed to something that we know & it is very hard for us to move outside of a way of life & a way of thinking that has been apart of us for so long..but there comes a time in ur life where we have to move on..i remember when i (paul) first came to penang i had a very hard time fitting into a church. Y? coz i had come from hillsong. It was my church, where i studied & also my work. So when in Malaysia i had the mentality of mega church & all the stuff that comes along with it. God led us to a church where we would be able to learn what we needed to know at that time in our life. We had to go to a few churches before we found the right one. In the end all u need is discernment. When u find the right place u will have peace. Go with the umpire of ur soul He is never wrong.

    By Blogger Kaz, at 2:43 AM  

  • I think what Mike said is so true...we will never hope to find a church like our home church, where we've grown up and gotten so used to. My parents' church is Australia is a small country church with hardly 30 people for a congregation. Everytime I go back there, it takes a lot of adjusting and I tend to compare it with PCC.

    However, I've realised that every church is different, with different giftings and different ministries. I've seen how God has used my parents and sister to make a difference in that small church and I believe that He will do the same for you.

    Sometimes its not only a matter of what we can receive from the church, but more importantly what we can return to it to bless God's people. I'm sure that God will use you mightily in whichever church He leads you to.

    And take heart...sometimes He may not lead you to a church, but He will lead the church to you. God works in strange ways. Remember how I thought I wouldn't get to go to church that time when I was in KL? But He brought the church right to my doorstep, right to where I was.

    So just trust Him to know what's best for you ya, and I'll list this down as one of my prayer items :)

    By Blogger Angeline , at 8:58 AM  

  • hi! after u have done all that had been said above, the best thing is always to pray and ask the Lord in prayer. ask Him what He WANTS for you. take care brother..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:41 AM  

  • Hey fellow el, I'm in an anglican church (Church of England), heh...so different from what we're used to. But of course, it's a Bible based church that reaches out to students here, and not the liberal type. Happy church hopping...i enjoyed it actually. Cos once you settle down in a church it's difficult to visit other churches and see what others are like. :)

    By Blogger 1, at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home